O.K I will warn you now that this post is very unlike me. It is full of depth and emotion, two things I don't display often but this day deserves it. This day always brings back a lot of memories. I can't believe it has been 7 years since that terrible day. That was 5 1/2 years before Eme was born, almost 3 years before Jeremy and I were married and I only been working at the hospital for a little over a year. Too say the least, a lot has changed but I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. It is always going to be one of those where were you days. I was at work. Most of you know that I was a phlebotomist for many years and we had to be there insanely early in the morning so I had been at work for almost 3 hours before the attacks started. I remember so much about that day. I even remember driving to work, which is quite unusual. Some days I was so tired I would barely remember the drive, scary I know. I remember that day was so busy and being that it is a hospital even though it seemed like the world was coming to an end we still had to keep working. I caught a glimpse here or there on the TV in the patients rooms, enough to kind of understand what we happening and that our world would forever be changed. One thing that really stood out to me that day is about an hour or so after the attacks began I had to go draw blood from a lady that had just had a baby. I walked in and there were her and her husband so happy and they had no idea what terrible anniversary their baby would have to share his birthday with. The attacks began probably within minutes that baby came into this world. Another thing I remember is talking to my dad and how sad he was. Some of you know that my dad just retired last year from being a captain in the fire department and to hear him talk about all those fireman that had died broke my heart.
One thing that I like about this day is how many people do things to pay tribute to those who died. This morning on my daily walk I saw so many flags hung in people yards. I am so mad at myself for not getting one yet. This evening, Eme and I went to the healing fields in Sandy which I try to do every year. Last year it was kind of cold and Eme was so little that we just drove around them. But this year she loved running between the flags and looking up at them. I wonder how old she will be before she understands the significance of this day. On the way there I was listening to the radio and they were playing little clips of what people were saying that day and the days shortly after and it still gives me goosebumps and brings tears to my eyes. Those are two things that I hope never change about this day.
1 comment:
Loved this post! It is crazy to think of that sad day!
Post a Comment