I will apologize now but through this month of adoption blogging there will be a lot of borrowed ideas. I feel like I am still learning (after 3 years, kind of sad!) about how to talk about adoption without making others feel uncomfortable or getting offended by what they say. Most people, thankfully, don't mean to offend they just are uninformed on how to talk about adoption. Which 4 years ago I was in that exact same boat so I try to remember that when some well intended person says, "He looks like he could be yours!" I thought the first time I got up with him in the middle of night sealed that deal regardless of what he looks likes but whatever. (As you can tell I still need to work on the offend part of this!). So since we all need a little language lesson here we go. Once again courtesy of itsaboutlove.org
Positive Adoption Language
The words we use while talking about adoption can send unintended messages. When writing about or discussing adoption, please consider using language from the right-hand column.
Negative Terms | Preferred Terms |
Gave up her child for adoption | Placed her child for adoption (also, made an adoption plan is a good way to say it) |
Real parent; natural parent | Birth parent, biological parent |
Adoptive parent | Parent |
His adopted child | His child |
Illegitimate | Born to unmarried parents |
Adoptee | Child who was adopted |
To keep | To parent |
Adoptable child; available child | Waiting child |
Foreign adoption | International adoption |
Track down parents | Search |
Unwanted child | Child placed for adoption |
Is adopted | Was adopted
|
1 comment:
I think I'm one who has commented on Tayden looking like he belongs to you and Jeremy. I know that you have told me that everyone means to say the right thing and that most people don't. I hope I have never been one to offend. I love you and your kids. Thanks for the lesson!!!
Post a Comment